State of the economy (economic growth - wage rises easier)
1/2 in 1970, 1/3 now belong to unions. No. of strikes and belonging to unions has fallen significantly after 1980. Majority of strikes is for higher wages. Sympathetic strikes (support other unions, illegal) and political strikes are rare in UK. 1975Employment protection act favoured unions, union density up to 55%.
1. Employment act 1980 outlawed secondary picketing
2. Trade union act1984 PRESTRIKE BALLOT(employer makes a better offer after ballot), 5year representative ballot.
3. Restrictive labour practices - closed shop, now unlawful.
5. New workplaces have no unions and old close down.
6. Main reasons were economic-restructuring of economy+unemployment.
Union supports management efficiency
Improving communications by collective voice
No organisational change
Wrong working rules
Demarcation(ships)-maintain demand for labour